Work along Detroit River getting $44M boost

Work along Detroit River getting $44M boost

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT -

Efforts to establish a recreational development project along Detroit's east riverfront are getting a $44 million boost from the federal government and the state, officials announced Monday.

The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy said new partnerships and a series of construction projects will wrap up work in the area. They include the redevelopment of Mount Elliott Park, improvements at Gabriel Richard Park and expanding the reach of the Detroit RiverWalk.

The project is getting $29 million in federal highway money and a $15 million investment by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund, officials said. It includes work at a site once home to a Uniroyal tire factory.

"Today's announcement and funding puts the east riverfront close to the finish line," Matt Cullen, chairman of the RiverFront Conservancy's board, said in a statement.

For decades, Detroit's east riverfront had been identified with dilapidated, vacant factories and old manufacturing sites, but years off work have transformed much of it for recreational use. It now includes William G. Milliken State Park & Harbor, located along the Detroit River near downtown.

The centerpiece of the development has been the RiverWalk promenade, which is popular with walkers, runners and bicyclists.

At Mount Elliot Park, plans call for shoreline improvements, a new plaza, pavilion, water feature and playscape. Gaps in the RiverWalk between downtown Detroit and Belle Isle also will be filled, including portions near Chene Park and along the former Uniroyal site.

"This is an important day in the development of our riverfront," Mayor Dave Bing said. "It is also a testimony to what is possible when the public and private sectors come together and develop a plan with the will to make it happen."

The federal money will be administered by the Michigan Department of Transportation, which will become co-project manager to help complete the work. Money from the Natural Resources Trust Fund will help the conservancy operate and maintain riverfront attractions.

------
Online:
http://www.detroitriverfront.org

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:43 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:43:20 GMT
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices