New York lawmakers blast Congress for no Sandy aid vote

Local lawmakers blast Congress for no Sandy aid vote

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Several local lawmakers are blasting Congress for failing to hold a vote on superstorm Sandy aid.

The U.S. House of Representatives approved the Senate financial bill that will prevent the U.S. economy from falling off the fiscal cliff.  But Congress failed to vote on the $60.4B superstorm Sandy relief bill.

Gov. Chris Christie is calling the House of Representative's failure to act "inexcusable."

Christie issued a joint statement with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday lambasting Congress's failure to approve the emergency aid measure.

Christie and Cuomo say it's been 66 days since the storm hit, and nearly a month since President Obama proposed an aid package which was passed by the Senate.

Both governors say the House's move to allow the bill to die was an unprecedented failure to respond to a devastating natural disaster that has impacted thousands of American lives.

Reps. Michael Grimm, a Republican, and Jerrold Nadler, a Democrat, said on the House floor Wednesday that while they did not agree on much, House Speaker John Boehner's decision would be a crushing blow to states battered by the late October storm.

The Senate approved a $60.4 billion measure Friday to help with recovery from the storm that devastated parts of New York, New Jersey and nearby states. The House Appropriations Committee has drafted a smaller, $27 billion measure, and a vote had been expected before Congress' term ends Thursday at noon.

It was a surprise move that stunned Rep. Steve Israel (D-LI.) He spoke with Good Day NY on Wednesday.

"In the very last minute they pulled the rug from under us. When it came to New Yorkers and people in NJ they said no. It is simply indefensible. There is going to be a delay in getting these funds to the people who need them. It was John Boehner and Eric Cantor who turned their backs on New Yorkers and New Jerseyans," said Israel.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • 3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:34:12 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.

  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD probing raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD probing raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:26:06 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
  • Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:07:25 GMT
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices