Florida school moves away from professor's claim

Florida school moves away from professor's claim that Sandy Hook massacre was staged

Posted: Updated:

A public university in Florida is distancing itself from the controversial claims of a professor who questions whether last month's horrific school massacre in Connecticut really happened.

James Tracy, an associate professor of media history at Florida Atlantic University, made the bizarre claim on his personal blog memoryholeblog.com, writing that the shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead may have been a government drill -- or may have not even occurred. The Boca Raton school said Tracy, who has also questioned the official version of events of the Kennedy assassination, the 9/11 terror attacks and the Aurora, Colo., movie theater massacre, was speaking only for himself.

“James Tracy does not speak for the university,” Lisa Metcalf, FAU’s director of media relations, told FoxNews.com in an email. “The website on which his post appeared is not affiliated with FAU in any way. As for any previous disciplinary actions at FAU, we do not comment on personnel matters.”

    “While it sounds like an outrageous claim, one is left to inquire whether the Sandy Hook shooting ever took place — at least in the way law enforcement authorities and the nation’s news media have described."

- James Tracy, FAU professor

In a posting titled “The Sandy Hook Massacre: Unanswered Questions and Missing Information,” Tracy questioned how Adam Lanza was able to fire off so many shots in such little time and noted a lack of surveillance video or still images from the gruesome crime scene.

“Inconsistencies and anomalies abound when one turns an analytical eye to news of the Newtown school massacre,” Tracy, 47, wrote. “While it sounds like an outrageous claim, one is left to inquire whether the Sandy Hook shooting ever took place — at least in the way law enforcement authorities and the nation’s news media have described.”

Pressed by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Tracy acknowledged that "one is left with the impression that a real tragedy took place," but suggested the Dec. 14 massacre was some sort of staged event.

“Was this to a certain degree constructed?” he asked. “Was this a drill?

Tracy's mistrust is aimed equally at authorities and the media.

“A considerable amount of evidence has been withheld by authorities, who in a telling move have successfully postponed public disclosure of items culled from Nancy and Adam Lanza's residence and vehicles for an additional 90 days,” Tracy, 47, wrote on his blog on Friday. “At the same time, what has been revealed and captured in press reports suggests how, from missing suspects and evidence to unrevealed corpses, much is still unknown and mainstream news outlets have been at least complicit in what could conceivably be described as the Sandy Hook massacre’s constructed reality,” Tracy continued.

Tracy, who did not return calls for comment, told the Sun-Sentinel he considers his conspiracy mongering a scholarly endeavor.

“I describe myself as a scholar and public intellectual interested in going more deeply into controversial public events,” he said. “Although some may see [my theories] as beyond the pale, I am doing what we should be doing as academics.

Read more: FOXNews.com

Follow us on Pinterest

 

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices