Info emerges on suspect and victims of office shooting

Info emerges on suspect and victims of office shooting

Posted: Updated:
AR-15 rifle found in Harmon's rental car AR-15 rifle found in Harmon's rental car

The man who police say opened fire inside a Phoenix office complex was found dead at a popular shopping center less than 24 hours after the shooting.

A landscaper at Mesa Riverview found the body of Arthur Harmon under some bushes just before 8 a.m. Thursday. He had shot himself.

911 caller: "There's somebody dead right here. He's laying down on the floor. I think he shot himself because he's carrying his gun."

Police say Harmon shot three people during a mediation hearing Wednesday morning. He killed the owner of a Scottsdale-based business, critically wounded an attorney, and shot a woman in her wrist.

The attorney, Mark Hummels, is not expected to survive. His family has spent the last two days there saying their final goodbyes.

CEO Steve Singer was pronounced dead at the hospital Wednesday. A third victim was hit on the hand by a stray bullet and will be ok.

Singer and Harmon were involved in a bitter legal dispute, and Hummels was representing Singer's company. They were meeting for a settlement conference at the office building when police say Harmon opened fire.

A friend and coworker of Hummels described him as a rising star. Hummels worked for the law firm, Osborn Maledon.

Hummels finished first in his class at the University of Arizona Law School, and finished first on the Arizona bar exam. He was a clerk for an Arizona Supreme Court Justice, and has undergraduate degrees from UC Berkeley and Colorado College.

Bill Maledon, a senior partner, said Hummels was more than a gifted attorney -- he was a kind and caring husband and father of two young kids.

"A son who's seven years old and a daughter who's nine years old, and they are still trying to comprehend the impending loss of their father. It's impossible to explain to them, I'm sure they will never quite understand it, we too will never be able to understand why it happened and never make sense of it but we will always remember Mark," said Maledon.

"The gentlest, smartest, most decent person that I think any of us can recall. A wonderful lawyer, a wonderful father, a wonderful husband and kind of a goofy guy. He rode a unicycle and played the harmonica, he was a great swimmer, he was a great person and is a great person," said Judge Andrew Hurwitz, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

"None of us can do anything and none of us can help right now and we all feel sort of helpless."

Before Hummels practiced law he was a reporter at the Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper.

Maledon said they will honor Mark Hummels in the coming days, but those plans are not set.

The third victim is believed to have been an unintended victim of Harmon.

32-year-old Nichole Hampton was shot in the hand. She was walking into the building's main lobby, where she works, when she saw men running.

"One of them said 'he's got a gun' and then I heard shots firing. And then I ran the opposite direction," says Hampton.

A stray bullet tore through Hampton's left wrist. She was worried the gunman would keep shooting.

"I mean the first thing I thought of was this is it -- this is the end. I really thought that I was going to die."

Hampton ran into the closest suite to escape the gunfire and was surprised the first person to open the door also had a gun.

"He whipped out a gun -- which I first thought oh gosh -- there's multiple gunmen everywhere. But no, he was a good guy and he had a gun and he said 'this is why I carry a gun.'"

Hampton says she could hear the chaos going on all around the building while she and the people in the suite hid in a small closet. They were worried he could be going office to office.

"I know that it wasn't meant for me. I wasn't afraid for myself, I was more afraid of what else could he do?"

About 100 yards away from where Harmon's body was found Thursday morning, officers found his rented Kia Optima parked in the Bass Pro parking lot just south of the 202.

Phoenix detectives searched the car, and pulled out a lot of clothes and a few guns -- including an AR-15 assault rifle. They also found ammunition.

It's not clear why Harmon chose to go there or how long he waited before turning the gun on himself. Police found a handgun near Harmon's body, but at this point, they don't know if it's the same gun used in the office shooting.

The white Kia has since been removed from the parking lot.

Video: FOX 10's Andrew Hasbun, Dan Spindle and Marc Martinez report.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices