Superstorm Sandy aid money released

Superstorm Sandy aid money released

Posted: Updated:

Sen. Charles Schumer says New York is getting nearly $3.5 billion in the first release of funds from the $50.5 billion emergency relief measure enacted last month for Superstorm Sandy victims.

The first allotment of funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will be released this week and will go toward housing and rebuilding efforts.

Of the $3.5 billion, Schumer says New York State will get $1.7 billion and New York City will get nearly $1.8 billion.

Schumer says further details on the specific projects and geographic distribution will be released in mid-February.

New York City plans to use some of its federal Sandy recovery money for grants to homeowners to fix their properties. The city also says it will install generators at public housing complexes and hold a competition to create storm-resilience technology.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg outlined the city's plans Wednesday for the nearly $1.8 billion in community development block grants.

They represent only part of the funding the city expects to get from the package Congress approved last month.

The plans also include grants and loans for businesses and a contest for utilities to make investments in hardening their systems against storms.

Another element is a competition intended to spur economic growth in five heavily damaged areas.

The Oct. 29 storm was one of the worst to strike the Northeast and is blamed for more than 130 deaths and tens of billions of dollars in property damage.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man convicted of murder in fatal sauce pan beating

    Man convicted of murder in fatal sauce pan beating

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 4:48 PM EDT2014-07-29 20:48:41 GMT
    A man who claimed he was high on drugs and hearing voices when he fatally beat an elderly man with a sauce pan has been found guilty of felony murder.
    A New Jersey man who said he was high on drugs and hearing voices when he fatally beat an elderly man with a sauce pan has been convicted of murder.
  • Mosquito-borne virus sickens 20 in NJ

    West Nile found in New Jersey mosquitoes

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 1:09 PM EDT2014-07-29 17:09:31 GMT
    Twenty New Jersey residents have tested positive for a mosquito-borne virus that has spread through the Caribbean. The state Health Department says the residents who came down with chikungunya had returned to New Jersey from the Caribbean. Chikungunya causes a high fever and severe pain in the joints. It is rarely fatal.
    Twenty New Jersey residents have tested positive for a mosquito-borne virus that has spread through the Caribbean. The state Health Department says the residents who came down with chikungunya had returned to New Jersey from the Caribbean. Chikungunya causes a high fever and severe pain in the joints. It is rarely fatal.
  • Stuck NJ Transit train removed

    Stuck NJ Transit train removed

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:24:49 GMT
    A New Jersey Transit commuter train with about 1,000 passengers on board became disabled just outside the Hudson River tunnel in Manhattan on Tuesday morning. The train which was on the Northeast Corridor line broke down near 10th Ave., according to NJ Transit officials.  It is not clear what caused the mechanical problem. Lighting and air conditioning on the train were never impacted, according to NJ Transit.
    A New Jersey Transit commuter train with about 1,000 passengers on board became disabled just outside the Hudson River tunnel in Manhattan on Tuesday morning. The train which was on the Northeast Corridor line broke down near 10th Ave., according to NJ Transit officials.  It is not clear what caused the mechanical problem. Lighting and air conditioning on the train were never impacted, according to NJ Transit.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices