Cubs P Marmol says abuse allegations are 'lies'

Cubs P Marmol says abuse allegations are 'lies'

Posted: Updated:

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- Chicago Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol has vigorously defended himself against allegations of domestic assault by a 24-year-old woman in the Dominican Republic.
 
   No criminal charges have been filed against the 30-year-old right-hander, though a civil suit has been filed.
 
   Marmol arrived in training camp Monday and spoke publicly for the first time about the accusations.
 
   He calls them "lies" and says his attorneys are considering a countersuit claiming extortion and seeking jail time for his accuser.
 
   "I didn't do anything," he said. "It is about money. The first thing, when they went to the police, was they asked for money right away. And I know I didn't do anything. . I gave a ride to this girl, and she pretended that I hurt and tried to have sex with her. And I never did that."
 
   Marmol is unsure whether the civil proceedings back home would require him to miss time during spring training to attend hearings.
 
   "They try to hurt me because everybody knows me in the Dominican and in Chicago, too," he said. "They tried to make me scared by trying to hurt my reputation in baseball and my future . (to) get money. But I'm not going to give them my money because I didn't do anything."
 
   The Cubs looked into the allegations when they were first reported and support Marmol's claims.
 
   "All we can do is evaluate it on the merits, and so far what we've seen backs Carlos' story, and we're going to continue to support him," said Theo Epstein, the Cubs' president of baseball operations. "And we expect this matter will be behind us shortly, based on the way it's proceeding in the Dominican courts."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share Your Sports Photos & Video

Submit Your Sports Photos
  • Chicago CubsCubsMore>>

  • Cubs beat Giants 2-1 in suspended game

    Cubs beat Giants 2-1 in suspended game

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:24 PM EDT2014-08-22 01:24:25 GMT
    After two days, the first upheld protest in nearly 30 years and another rain storm, the Chicago Cubs finally completed a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants in a suspended game on Thursday night.
    After two days, the first upheld protest in nearly 30 years and another rain storm, the Chicago Cubs finally completed a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants in a suspended game on Thursday night.
  • Jackson put on DL, Castro on bereavement

    Jackson put on DL, Castro on bereavement

    Thursday, August 21 2014 7:04 PM EDT2014-08-21 23:04:26 GMT
    The Chicago Cubs have placed struggling right-hander Edwin Jackson on the 15-day disabled list with a lat strain, and they have also put shortstop Starlin Castro on the bereavement list.
    The Chicago Cubs have placed struggling right-hander Edwin Jackson on the 15-day disabled list with a lat strain, and they have also put shortstop Starlin Castro on the bereavement list.
  • Peavy pitches Giants to 8-3 win over Cubs

    Peavy pitches Giants to 8-3 win over Cubs

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 11:43 PM EDT2014-08-21 03:43:08 GMT
    Jake Peavy pitched seven solid innings in his fifth start with San Francisco, and the Giants rolled past the Chicago Cubs 8-3 on Wednesday, hours after they won a protest regarding a rain-shortened loss from the...
    Jake Peavy pitched seven solid innings in his fifth start with San Francisco, and the Giants rolled past the Chicago Cubs 8-3 on Wednesday, hours after they won a protest regarding a rain-shortened loss from the night before.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices