Mystery letter endorsing Beckham for Detroit EM sent to Snyder

Mystery letter endorsing Beckham for Detroit EM sent to Snyder

Posted: Updated:
Charlie Beckham  (Credit: Fox 2 News) Charlie Beckham (Credit: Fox 2 News)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Who wants to be the emergency manager for Detroit?  A letter to Governor Rick Snyder suggests Charlie Beckham is the best selection.

Beckham started working in the Detroit mayor's office for Coleman Young, and nearly four decades later he resigned his position with Dave Bing's administration in 2010.

No one has signed the letter drafted by the Detroit Coalition of Community Leaders.  It includes 36 names of prominent Detroiters who, according to the letter, are endorsing Beckham as emergency manager, including Detroit police officer John Bennett.

"Of the names that I've heard mentioned, I think, by far, he's the most qualified person," Bennett remarked.

He said he is in favor of Beckham as emergency manager, but other people listed as endorsing Beckham say hold the phone.

Mike Duggan, who is exploring a run for mayor himself, said he had no knowledge of his name being included and had no involvement in the drafting of the letter.

Dan McNamara, Detroit fire union boss, and Mark Diaz, police union boss, both said they never endorsed Beckham for emergency manager.

What is Bennett's reaction to his name being included in the letter?

"I don't have a problem with that.  I know there's a big uproar over that, but I've talked to Charlie.  He seems like a capable person.  I think he's qualified.  He can do the job.  I don't have a problem with my name being added to that list," he said.  "Let me say again I'm not in favor of an emergency manager, but faced with the prospects I want somebody who knows what to do."

I tried to reach Beckham for comment on this story, but was unsuccessful.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Two teens shot and killed on Detroit's west side

Monday, September 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:20:04 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of two teenagers -- a boy and a girl -- were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Man claims he was beaten by discount store clerk

Sunday, August 31 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:56:19 GMT
    "He put his hand on me and slammed me into the racks, put me in a (mixed martial arts) arm bar, then put me in a choke hold," Lacey Wheeler said.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices