Fire that killed 9 horses started in appliance-filled tack room

Fire that killed 9 horses started in appliance-filled tack room, officials say

Posted: Updated:

LAKE WORTH, Florida - A barn fire that killed nine horses earlier this month started in a tack room filled with appliances, an incident report notes.

The report released Monday by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue is in line with preliminary findings when the fire broke outMarch 9. According to the report, several items - including microwaves and hot plates - were plugged into a surge protector behind the refrigerator.

The Palm Beach Post reports horse food and supplies were also stored in the tack room.

The 50-year-old barn in Lake Worth didn't have a sprinkler system.

Omar Cepeda, who has rented the barn for three years, told the Post he's battled depression over the loss of the horses. He says the horses cost about $40,000 each.

Follow us on Pinterest

 

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices