Conn. Chimp victim denied lawsuit

Conn. Chimp victim denied lawsuit

Posted: Updated:
Charla Nash after her face-transplant operation Charla Nash after her face-transplant operation

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A Connecticut woman disfigured in a chimpanzee attack has been denied permission to sue the state.

Charla Nash's family sought permission to sue Connecticut for $150 million but was denied Friday by state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. The state is immune from lawsuits unless they're allowed by the commissioner.

Nash was blinded, lost both hands and underwent a face transplant after being mauled in Stamford in 2009.

Nash reached a $4 million settlement last year with the estate of chimp owner Sandra Herold, who died in 2010.

Nash's lawyer said the state should be held responsible for not seizing the animal before the attack, because it was warned the animal was dangerous. State Attorney General George Jepsen said the state shouldn't be held liable for the mauling.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Connecticut: DNA shows wolf-dog reports false

    Connecticut: DNA shows wolf-dog reports false

    Thursday, April 24 2014 4:59 PM EDT2014-04-24 20:59:07 GMT
    Connecticut environmental officials say DNA tests on samples from seven animals in North Stonington show they are domestic dogs with no recent wolf ancestors.
    Connecticut environmental officials say DNA tests on samples from seven animals in North Stonington show they are domestic dogs with no recent wolf ancestors.
  • Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:50:19 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
  • Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Thursday, April 24 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:24:06 GMT
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices