LeDuff gets access to Pugh's alleged text to 17-year-old boy

LeDuff gets access to Charles Pugh's alleged text to 17-year-old boy

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Fox 2's Charlie LeDuff talked to the mother alleging her son was in an inappropriate relationship with Charles Pugh. LeDuff also got a look at a text message allegedly sent from Pugh to the 17-year-old boy.

The text was sent at 12:18 a.m. on February 21, 2013 and said, "Is this you? Since yo a** didn't text me. lol lets go at 2 pm."

This is a kid from a working family with a mother and a father. The kid has everything he needs. What the family said their son didn't need was raunchy texts in the middle of the night, a grown man meeting their son at a liquor store on Saturday, expensive gifts or taking the boy out of school to go shopping without their knowledge. When they told the school, they said school officials did nothing.

"It's the principal. He was wrong, and he know he was wrong," the mother told LeDuff. "I feel that he was luring my son with gifts, money and promising him things, and that's luring, that's seducing."

"I complained to the school. I complained May the 30th or the 29th, whichever day fell on that Friday. I complained when I could not find my son. Then that Monday, when I found out all the things, the money, the cell phone, the clothes, when I found all that out, I called again."

"I feel the school really failed my son, and actually Charles Pugh has failed the Detroit public school system."

"All I'm saying is he took my son off of school property. He met my son at the corner store a corner from my home to give him $160. He had already given him $40. He had already given him $30 before that, and then another $30 before that."

Pugh's has disappeared from the public eye for several days. On Tuesday, he made a request to Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr to take a medical leave. Orr denied it and gave Pugh an ultimatum: Show up for work by 5 p.m. Wednesday or else. Pugh failed to show, prompting Orr to sign an order Thursday stripping Pugh of his pay and authority as City Council president.

On Monday, we will learn more about the civil lawsuit expected to be filed against Pugh. There is no formal word on any criminal charges at this time, but LeDuff has learned that Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has reached out to the family of the boy to help explain how to file criminal charges should they choose to follow that path.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices