Bodies of jet skiers recovered near Coney Island

Bodies of jet skiers recovered near Coney Island

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

NYPD divers on Friday recovered the bodies of two boaters who went missing in the water near Coney Island on Thursday, according to the Coast Guard.

Police and Coast Guard units had been searching for the man and woman since they were seen going into the water near Leon Kaiser Park at about 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

The pair were riding on a personal watercraft, also commonly called a jet ski, when the woman fell off, according to a witness. The man, who was driving, turned around and then went into the water after her, the witness, a fisherman, told Fox 5.

The man then went under water and didn't resurface.

Police found the bodies of Willie Tom, 46, and Celine Fu, 29, in Gravesend Bay.

Witnesses have told Fox 5 News that the boaters were not wearing life jackets, but officials have not confirmed that.

Two on-duty police officers also saw what happened, took off some clothes and dove in to attempt to rescue, leading to a full scale search, which started around 8:45 p.m.

"This is a very unfortunate incident which further stresses the importance of water safety and of wearing your lifejacket, especially while riding a jet ski," said Lt. j.g. Alfred Betts, a command duty officer with the Coast Guard.

A police helicopter and rescue boats from the NYPD and Coast Guard participated in the search.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:52:11 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices