Schumer calls for probe of railroad glitches in NY

Schumer calls for probe of railroad glitches in NY

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) says the recent breakdowns and delays on New York City subways and commuter rails is due to the extreme heat.

Schumer during a Sunday press conference said he'll ask the federal government to step in and find a solution to a problem and believes it's getting worse.

In the last three months, there have been at least three breakdowns and the recent delays have affected Amtrak, the Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North. The senator says federal investigators should be put in place to protect the systems from heat-related glitches. On Friday, a freight train derailed on Metro-North's Hudson line.

Schumer is specifically asking the TRB and NTSB to look into the impacts of the changing climate on railroad infrastructure, especially vulnerable electric wires, transformers, and tracks to determine what changes need to be made in an era of increasingly high temperatures.

"It is clear that high temperatures have a devastating effect on our transit system, and we need to look at ways to mitigate that, just as we are doing with storms and floods," said Schumer. "This month alone, New York and New Jersey have experienced at least three heat-related train issues and with

commuters paying so much in transit costs, these delays and derailments need to be avoided as much as possible. The feds have the resources and expertise to look at these incidents, and others, together and to make specific recommendations so that are system is better protected."

Extreme heat can often impact rail systems and equipment causing "heat kinks" and droopy overhead lines. Aboveground tracks are at higher risk of warping during high temperatures.

A Metro-North spokeswoman said heat may have been a contributing factor. In May, 60 people were injured when a Metro-North train derailed in Connecticut.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices