Reports: 'Glee' plans Corey Monteith tribute, hiatus

Reports: 'Glee' plans Corey Monteith tribute, hiatus

Posted: Updated:

By FRAZIER MOORE
AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - "Glee" executive producer Ryan Murphy is planning a tribute episode to honor the series' deceased star, Cory Monteith.

In remarks to news outlets published Saturday, Murphy said the tribute would address the death of Finn, the character Monteith played on the Fox network high school musical series. That show will be the season's third episode, following two episodes that had already been written.

Then the series will go on a hiatus to reassess its direction, Murphy said.

The body of 31-year-old Monteith was found last weekend in a Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room. Tests showed he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.

On "Glee" he played high school quarterback and glee club member Finn Hudson, who had graduated and moved on to college but was an adviser to his old club and remained part of the show.

Finn also had an off-and-on romance with fellow student and singer Rachel, played by his real-life girlfriend Lea Michele.

Monteith had been candid about his struggles with addiction, which included a rehab stint several months before his death.

Murphy said he had helped stage an intervention in his office for Monteith last March.

"He wanted to continue working and we said, 'That's not an option. No. The TV show doesn't matter, your life matters,'" Murphy told the Eonline website. Monteith's rehab began soon thereafter.

Murphy also spoke with Deadline, the Hollywood Reporter and TV Line.

On Friday, Fox announced the series would return for its fifth season on Sept. 26, a week later than originally scheduled.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More International NewsMore>>

  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:50 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:50:54 GMT
    Islamic State extremists released a video posted Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant group continue, "our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
    Islamic State extremists released a video posted Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant group continue, "our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices