Jury awards $280,000 in NY case over N-word abuse

Jury awards $280,000 in NY case over N-word abuse

Posted: Updated:
New York City News New York City News
By LARRY NEUMEISTER

NEW YORK (AP) - A lawyer for a black woman whose hostile workplace claim against a black boss's N-word rant produced a $280,000 jury award says she hopes society has learned something.

Attorney Marjorie Sharpe spoke outside federal court in Manhattan Tuesday after 38-year-old Brandi Johnson was awarded $30,000 in punitive damages. The jury had awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages last week against STRIVE East Harlem and its founder, Rob Carmona.

She said she hopes her client's quest for justice against a four-minute tirade of slurs by Carmona last year helps eliminate "the most offensive word in the English language."

Johnson said she wants the message of the case to be that the word "won't be tolerated no matter what your race is."

Carmona declined comment. STRIVE says it is considering an appeal.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices