Doctors Save Baby Who Swallowed Pacifier

Doctors Save Baby Who Swallowed Pacifier

Posted: Updated:

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - A Redford woman is thanking the Emergency Room team at Botsford Hospital for helping to save the life of her five-month-old baby boy who nearly choked to death on his pacifier.

Cameron was at daycare on August 12 when he swallowed his entire pacifier which then blocked his airway. Livonia paramedics responded and rushed the baby to Botsford's Emergency and Trauma Center.

The doctors performed lifesaving measures and eventually removed the pacifier bit by bit which was lodged tightly in the baby's throat.

If an adult is in need of air doctors say typical practice is to cut a hole in the neck to allow airflow. But in this tiny infant, doctors used a needle to let the air in.

An X-ray shows the hole where doctors performed what's called a cricothyrotomy. The needle was inserted into Cameron's trachea and allowed him to get oxygen around the pacifier that was blocking his airway. The needle was basically breathing for him. It's a procedure rarely used, but it bought doctors valuable time to rush Cameron into surgery, where an ear, nose and throat surgeon carefully removed the pacifier piece-by-piece.

Cameron is now 7 months old and has fully recovered. His mother, Adrienne Herrick, is thanking everyone involved.

"If would give everyone in this hospital an organ, if I could. I could never express how grateful I am. There's no words for it. If they wouldn't have saved him I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you now," Herrick tells us.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices