During the holiday season, there will be lots of guests coming to your house with food. It's time to make sure your pet doesn't eat something it's not supposed to.
Dr. Garret Pachtinger, a veterinarian and emergency center specialist, gave some advice for Good Day viewers
Don't ever feed Chocolate to a pet. It can lead to tremors and even seizure behavior. Also, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.
Make sure not to have any holiday ribbons hanging around that could get your dog tangled in them. If a dog eats them, he or she could also get digestive blockage.
Onions and garlic may spice up a dish, but they are toxic to dogs. According to Dr. Pachtinger, they could cause red blood cell problems.
Grapes and raisins are tasty for humans but could cause irreversible kidney failure for dogs, says Dr. Pachtinger. Chemicals in them are extremely toxic to your pets.
Sometimes, your dog could accidentally sip on alcohol that's standing around. Make sure that doesn't happen.
Also, make sure the dog doesn't get into an unattended purse and explore its contents. Even OTC medicine like Tylenol could be toxic to dogs. Also, gums that contain Xylitol could cause low blood sugar in dogs, says Dr. Pachtinger.
Emily Simmons, the executive director of the Chester County SPCA, also mentioned that you can get a 2014 PAWS calendar to help out the shelters that save dogs. You can get more information here.