Man loses weight on McDonald's-only diet

Man loses weight on McDonald's-only diet

Posted: Updated:
(KCCI) (KCCI)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

In the 2004 documentary “Supersize Me,” which featured a man who only ate at McDonald’s for a month, the filmmaker claimed his health declined during the 30-day experiment.

But science teacher John Cisna of Ankeny, Iowa, took a different approach and even expanded the experiment to 90 days... and lost weight.

“I can eat any food at McDonald’s (that) I want as long as I’m smart for the rest of the day with what I balance it out with,” Cisna told KCCI in Des Moines, Iowa.

With help from three students, Cisna eat only McDonald’s food… but with a strict limit of 2,000 calories a day.

He also tried to stay close to the recommended dietary allowances for nutrients like carbohydrates, proteins, fat calories, and cholesterol.

Cisna told the owner of the local McDonald’s franchise about his experiment, and he agreed to provide the food for free.

Cisna’s students got involved by taking McDonald’s online nutritional information to plan daily meals for their teacher, KCCI added.

Cisna said a typical breakfast would be two egg white delights, a bowl of maple oatmeal and a 1 percent milk. A salad for lunch would be followed by more traditional value meal at dinner.

“So this isn’t something where you say ‘well he went to McDonalds and he only had the salads. No, I had the Big Macs, the quarter pounders with cheese. I had sundaes, I had ice cream cones,” he said.

He also started exercising by walking 45 minutes a day. By the 90th day, Cisna reports he lost 37 pounds and his cholesterol dropped from 249 to 170.

“The point behind this documentary is, ‘Hey, it’s (a) choice. We all have choices. It’s our choices that make us fat not McDonald’s,” he said.


  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:19 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:19:59 GMT
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
  • FAA bans all flights to Tel Aviv airport

    FAA bans all flights to Tel Aviv airport

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:59 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:59:29 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:52:11 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices