Not Guilty Verdicts in Kelly Thomas Beating Trial

Not Guilty Verdicts in Kelly Thomas Beating Trial

Posted: Updated:
Santa Ana, CA -

(FOX 11 / CNS)  Two former Fullerton police officers were acquitted Monday of all charges stemming from the death of transient Kelly Thomas, who died five days after his 2011 arrest at the Fullerton Transportation Center.

MORE:Civil Rights Attorney Leo Terrell Answers Your Questions on Thomas Verdict. Many of you commented on today's Kelly Thomas Verdict here on Facebook. We sat down with our FOX 11 Legal Analyst to respond to some of your comments and questions.

[Leo Terrell Sits Down with FOX 11 Web Producer Pablo Pereira: CLICK HERE]

   Gasps could be heard from the Santa Ana courtroom as the verdicts were read, clearing former Officer Manuel Ramos -- who had been charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter -- and ex-Cpl. Jay Cicinelli, who was charged with involuntary manslaughter and use of excessive force.

Cicinelli, 39, hugged his attorney after the verdicts were read. Ramos could be seen with his face in his hands.

The charges stemmed from the 37-year-old Thomas' July 5, 2011, arrest following reports of someone breaking into cars at the bus depot. The violent arrest, which ultimately involved six officers, was captured on video and audio tape, which were the centerpieces of District Attorney Tony Rackauckas' case. Thomas, who wound up bruised, bloodied and hospitalized,
never regained consciousness and was taken off life support five days later.

Defense attorneys contended during the trial that Thomas' death was the result of an enlarged heart caused by years of drug abuse. Rackauckas, handling the case himself, urged jurors to use common sense, saying the officers went beyond police protocol during the arrest.
   Jurors deliberated for about eight hours over the course of two days before announcing early this afternoon they had reached a verdict.   "Where do we really find justice any more in our justice system," Thomas' father, Ron, said after the verdict.

He accused defense attorneys of lying throughout the trial about his son's drug use. He also said the verdict will send a message to police officers that they have the right to violently beat suspects. "It has been proven right here today that they will get away with it," he said. "They will get away with it." Rackauckas argued that Thomas was legally exercising his right to defend himself after Ramos, also 39, put on a pair of latex gloves and told Thomas, "Now see my fists? They are getting ready to (expletive) you up." The district attorney argued that the threat set the deadly struggle in motion, and Ramos and Cicinelli did nothing to stop it.

Rackauckas also said Cicinelli repeatedly bashed Thomas in the face with a stun gun during the struggle, despite claims by defense attorney Michael Schwartz that his client only made "two quick jabs" to Thomas.

"And what does Cicinelli say ... in his own words," Rackauckas said, referring to the defendant's comment after the beating, "I got the end of my Taser and I probably, just probably smashed his face to hell."

Cicinelli was also recorded on digital audio recorders saying, "I (expletive) beat him probably 20 times in the face with this Taser," Rackauckas said.

Ramos' attorney, John Barnett, insisted that his client did not unlawfully escalate the confrontation with Thomas, noting that the two men had an earlier confrontation involving a threat with a police baton that did not turn violent.

"It's a ridiculous position to take and that's the position they (prosecutors) took," Barnett said.
   Thomas had been homeless for years and racked up a record for mostly minor, nonviolent crimes -- 92 encounters with police and 27 arrests since 1990 -- though he did plead guilty in 1995 to assault with a deadly weapon for hitting his grandfather with a fireplace poker.
   Former Fullerton Officer Joe Wolfe, who was indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter and using excessive force, will be tried separately. A major issue in the trial was the cause of death.

One defense witness testified that Thomas could have died at any time due to his weakened heart. Defense attorneys argued that there may have been a problem putting a breathing tube into Thomas at an area hospital.  Medical experts for the prosecution, however, testified that Thomas' breathing was inhibited during the struggle and that bleeding from a broken
nose also blocked his airways, leading to brain death.

  • Share ThisMore>>

  • Photo Gallery: Our Favorite Cosplay Girls From Anaheim WonderCon

    Photo Gallery: Our Favorite Cosplay Girls From Anaheim WonderCon

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:56 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:56:25 GMT
    It was Easter weekend and that meant that Anaheim's WonderCon was in town. Check out this gallery of our favorite female cosplayers!
    It was Easter weekend and that meant that Anaheim's WonderCon was in town. Check out this gallery of our favorite female cosplayers!
  • Photo Gallery: Our Favorite Male Cosplayers From WonderCon

    Our Favorite Male Cosplayers From WonderCon

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:44 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:44:55 GMT
    It was Easter weekend and that meant that Anaheim's WonderCon was in town. Check out this gallery of our favorite male cosplayers!
    It was Easter weekend and that meant that Anaheim's WonderCon was in town. Check out this gallery of our favorite male cosplayers!
  • Teen Okay after Hiding In Wheel Well Of Jet Bound For Hawaii

    Teen Okay after Hiding In Wheel Well Of Jet Bound For Hawaii

    Teen Okay after Hiding In Wheel Well Of Jet Bound For Hawaii

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:21:57 GMT
    Officials say a 16-year-old boy is "lucky to be alive" and unharmed after flying from California to Hawaii stowed away in a plane's wheel well, surviving cold temperatures at 38,000 feet and a lack of oxygen. "Doesn't even remember the flight," FBI spokesman Tom Simon in Honolulu told The Associated Press on Sunday night. "It's amazing he survived that." The boy was questioned by the FBI after being discovered on the tarmac at the Maui airport Sunday morning with no identification, Simon said...
    Officials say a 16-year-old boy is "lucky to be alive" and unharmed after flying from California to Hawaii stowed away in a plane's wheel well, surviving cold temperatures at 38,000 feet and a lack of oxygen. "Doesn't even remember the flight," FBI spokesman Tom Simon in Honolulu told The Associated Press on Sunday night. "It's amazing he survived that." The boy was questioned by the FBI after being discovered on the tarmac at the Maui airport Sunday morning with no identification, Simon said...
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices