Former Rep. Steve Precourt has declined an offer to become the next executive director of the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority on a month-to-month contract, the toll-road agency says.
Precourt was offered the month-to-month contract to manage the agency until an investigation by the State Attorney's Office is complete. State Attorney Jeff Ashton is investigating whether members of the board discussed the job status of the previous executive director out of a public setting.
"I am disappointed that Mr. Precourt has chosen not to join us. We wish him well in his future endeavors," said Walter Ketham, Authority chairman.
In a 3-2 vote of the five-member board earlier this week, the month-to-month arrangement was approved, with Scott Batterson and Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs in the minority.
Precourt had just given up his legislative seat of seven years to take the job, which pays $185,000 annually. Speaking before the agency board on Wednesday, he indicated that serving on a month-to-month basis undermined his ability to lead.
"Splitting the baby is a show of weakness," he said.
The next steps in the process of hiring an Executive Director will be discussed at the next meeting of the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority board, which is currently scheduled for February 26.