Benefit for woman in a coma after severe allergic reaction

Benefit for woman recovering from severe allergic reaction, coma after eating peanut butter

Posted: Updated:
Chantel Giacalone Chantel Giacalone
(WJBK) -

A local salon is holding a benefit to raise medical funds for the actress and model from West Bloomfield Township that fell into a coma more than a year ago after accidentally eating peanut butter.

Chantel Giacalone, 27, was with a friend in Las Vegas when she unknowingly bit into a pretzel with peanut butter inside. She has a severe peanut allergy.

"She went into anaphylactic shock. She went into cardiac arrest twice - four and a half minutes both times," says Maria Lamia, Chantel's aunt.

Chantel was on life support in Las Vegas. Her friends, loved ones and strangers raised thousands of dollars to have her airlifted to Michigan, where she was finally released from the hospital in November.

Maria says Chantel is at home in a vegetative state and needs 24-hour medical care, which has taken a toll financially on the family.  

Doctors do not know if her condition will improve, but she appears to recognize family members and her surroundings.

"She also will blink on yes and no questions. So, we feel like there's hope and there's a light in there," says Maria.

This weekend Maria will open her salon to help raise money to ease the burden on the family. Haircuts for men and women, nail appointments and facials will be offered, and some retail items will be on sale.

The benefit will take place at Lamia & Lamia Salon in Grosse Pointe Woods Sunday, Feb. 9 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Proceeds from all services will go towards Chantel's ongoing medical care.

You can also donate directly to Chantel's family here:

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps

  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices