Ronald Reese was ripping some bad wood out of an old house when he was bitten by a spider. Many people would not give it a second thought, but the bite was the beginning of the end for Reese.
Reese's dad is convinced the spider was a brown recluse, which injects an exceptionally dangerous toxin into its prey.
Almost immediately, Reese began feeling intense pain.
"There was nothing I could do," said his 90-year-old father, HK William Reese. "That's what made it so bad."
A few days after he was bitten, he went to the hospital. Little did he know that over the next six months, he would spend half that time hospitalized. After developing pneumonia and meningitis, he eventually died.
"He suffered so much. I thank the Lord that he took him when he did," Reese's dad told FOX 13.
The Centers for Disease Control say deaths from spider bites are extremely rare. Reese was just one of those unfortunate cases.