Rob Astorino enters governor race; makes stop in the Bronx

Rob Astorino enters governor race; makes stop in the Bronx

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM/AP - Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino launched his campaign for governor by appealing for votes in the Bronx.

Astorino stood on the steps of the Bronx courthouse Thursday morning and criticized incumbent Gov. Andrew Cuomo's leadership. He says New Yorkers are fleeing the state in search of a better business climate and lower taxes.

Astorino says he kicked off his campaign in the Bronx because the county has been "forgotten economically" by the nation.

He also touted his Hispanic voter base in Westchester County. The Bronx is the state's only county with a majority Hispanic population.

Astorino drew applause when he repeated his announcement in Spanish. He also plans to campaign in Buffalo later Thursday.

Astorino, a Republican, announced Wednesday in a video that the idea that things are great in New York is a "fairy tale."

"Since Andrew Cuomo has been governor, New York has lost more of its citizens than any other state. More then 400,000 New Yorkers have thrown in the towel and left for a lower cost of living and job opportunities elsewhere. After four years, it's clear he is not leading at all," said Astorino in a message posted to YouTube.

State Republicans hold their nominating convention in May.

Celebrity businessman Donald Trump has said he would consider a run if the party unifies behind him.

Cuomo, a possible 2016 presidential candidate, is far ahead in polls, name recognition and fundraising. But Astorino argues New York is moving in the wrong direction and Cuomo is beatable.

Astorino, 46, a married father of three, was easily elected in November to his second term as the head of government in the suburban county north of New York City.

Twice as many Democrats live in New York than Republicans.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices