Health Care Website Stumbles On Last Day Deadline

Health Care Website Stumbles On Last Day Deadline

Posted: Updated:

From Hal Eisner:

Since 4am lines snaked around the SEIU-UHW's Union Hall. All day people got help signing up for insurance. At 10:15pm: an announcement was made over a PA system telling people who have stood in line all night that they may not get help enrolling in the Affordable Healthcare Program before the midnight deadline. 

Sean Whirley, with SEIU, says there are just too many people to help by the midnight deadline. What happens at midnight? Says Whirley, "for those who have started the process they will have until April 15th to finish that process. Anyone who did not start, didn't even make an attempt to start, they will be subject to the fine which is either $95 or 1% of your income."

For those who started the process they have until April 15th to complete it. But, Whirley says, for those who couldn't apply for any valid reason there is still some hope. According to Whirley, "say you tried to log on and the site was down so, you tried to call in and the phones were jammed… If you then go to an insurance broker tomorrow and say ‘I tried they would then grant you that extension through April 15th."

 


 

(FOX 11 / AP) The Obama administration's health care website stumbled early Monday , falling out of service for nearly four hours on deadline day for sign-ups. After it was fixed, officials plowed ahead with a nationwide promotional drive, almost like getting out the vote on Election Day.

Early visitors to HealthCare.gov on Monday morning saw messages that the site was down for maintenance. At times the visitors were also directed to a virtual waiting room - a feature designed to ease the strain on the site during periods of heavy use.

Administration spokesman Aaron Albright said the website was brought back up shortly before 9 a.m., Eastern time. But people who missed their window sign up may still be able to take advantage of a grace period and other special extensions announced last week.

Albright said the site undergoes "regular nightly maintenance" during off-peak hours and that period was extended because of a "technical problem." He did not say what the problem was, but a statement from the Department of Health and Human Services called it "a software bug" unrelated to application volume.

Albright said consumers who left an email address would be "invited back" when the system got up and running again.

Officials said the website wasn't hacked. The site, which was receiving 1.5 million visitors a day last week, received about 1.7 million on Sunday. The federal site serves 36 states. Fourteen states and the District of Columbia are running their own sites, some of which have been crippled by technical problems.

Nonetheless, the administration and the states appear to be on track to sign-up about 6.5 million people for subsidized private health insurance through the new online markets. That's half way between a revised goal of 6 million and the original target of 7 million. The earlier goal was scaled back after the website's disastrous launch last fall, which kept it off-line during most of October.

It is unclear how many consumers who have signed up ultimately closed the deal by paying their first month's premium. Also unknown is how many were previously uninsured - the real test of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law.

Albright said Monday morning that the website is typically down for maintenance during the period from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. EDT, and that as a result of the technical problems the site was down for close to four additional hours before returning to full strength.

The sign-up website had been taken down briefly Friday, with consumer interest surging.

A recent analysis for The Associated Press by the performance-measurement firm Compuware found that the government site runs slow compared with health insurance industry peers.

With long lines reported at centers offering in-person assistance to enroll, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius was leading the deadline day sign-up effort. Sebelius planned to spend much of the day Monday working out of the department's TV studio, conducting interviews by satellite with local media stations around the country.

Although March 31 was the last day officially to sign up, millions of people were potentially eligible for extensions granted by the administration for various reasons.

That includes consumers who had begun enrolling by the deadline but didn't finish, perhaps because of errors, missing information or website glitches. The government says it will accept paper applications until April 7 and take as much time as necessary to handle unfinished cases on HealthCare.gov. Rules may vary in states running their own insurance marketplaces.

The administration is also offering special extensions to make up for all sorts of problems that might have kept people from getting enrolled on time: Natural disasters. Domestic abuse. Website malfunctions. Errors by insurance companies. Mistakes by application counselors.

To seek a special enrollment period, contact the federal call center, at 1-855-889-4325, or the state marketplace and explain what happened. It's on the honor system. If the extension is approved, that brings another 60 days to enroll.

  • Health NewsMore>>

  • A Workout Class With Babies Attached

    A Workout Class With Babies Attached

    Tuesday, August 12 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-08-12 19:51:20 GMT
    A brand new workout class allows new moms to get into shape all the while not needing childcare, because the their babies are attached to them. The Dailey Baby Barre class at The Dailey Method in Venice combines all the benefits of a core/barre class with, well, your little one!
    A brand new workout class allows new moms to get into shape all the while not needing childcare, because the their babies are attached to them. The Dailey Baby Barre class at The Dailey Method in Venice combines all the benefits of a core/barre class with, well, your little one!
  • LA County Reports First West Nile Virus Cases Of The Year

    LA County Reports First West Nile Virus Cases Of The Year

    Friday, August 8 2014 1:21 PM EDT2014-08-08 17:21:29 GMT
    Los Angeles County has recorded its first two cases of the year of the mosquito-borne West Nile virus. County health officials said Thursday that two people were infected in July.Officials say a woman in her 60s from the San Fernando Valley continues to recover at a hospital.
    Los Angeles County has recorded its first two cases of the year of the mosquito-borne West Nile virus. County health officials said Thursday that two people were infected in July.Officials say a woman in her 60s from the San Fernando Valley continues to recover at a hospital.
  • National Heatstroke Prevention Day: Stay Healthy, Stay Cool

    National Heatstroke Prevention Day: Stay Healthy, Stay Cool

    Thursday, July 31 2014 1:50 PM EDT2014-07-31 17:50:27 GMT
    Nearly every 10 days, a child dies from being left in a hot vehicle. To spread the word for National Heatstroke Prevention Day, various federal agencies are calling on the public to help prevent future tragedies by sharing important safety tips via ?Twitter? and Facebook.
    Nearly every 10 days, a child dies from being left in a hot vehicle. To spread the word for National Heatstroke Prevention Day, various federal agencies are calling on the public to help prevent future tragedies by sharing important safety tips via ?Twitter? and Facebook.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices