FBI alleges fraud in priest's condo purchase

FBI alleges fraud in priest's condo purchase

Posted: Updated:
Rev. Edward Belczak Rev. Edward Belczak
TROY, Mich. (AP) -- Federal authorities are accusing a Detroit-area priest of fraud in the purchase of a condominium in Florida.

The government filed a lawsuit in Detroit federal court Monday to seize the Rev. Edward Belczak's condo in Wellington. The FBI says the $110,000 down payment came from a bank account belonging to St. Thomas More parish in Troy.

The Associated Press left a message seeking Belczak's current contact information from the Archdiocese of Detroit.

Belczak was removed from the church last year. He hasn't been changed with a crime, but the request to take control of property means there's a criminal investigation.

Belczak purchased the condo for $500,000 in 2005 from a church office manager. The FBI says the priest and office manager jointly held a bank account to make mortgage payments.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:39 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:39:04 GMT
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
  • DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

    DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:06:31 GMT
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.
  • City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

    City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

    Monday, July 21 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:31:49 GMT
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices