A Grieving Mother Shares Her Son's Story In Hopes Of Saving Live

A Grieving Mother Shares Her Son's Story In Hopes Of Saving Lives

Posted: Updated:

2-years-ago the Collas family, Jackie, Jake, Aiden, Bella, and Hayes were ecstatic with their new addition.

Curren, the golden haired kid with the bright blue eyes and big belly laugh, made this family complete.

“I would go in the morning, wake him up, 'Good morning mama!' like so happy to see me, that was the best part of my day,” his mother said.

However, that all changed on the morning of February 25th.

"So I went up to get him dressed. I opened the door, like I always do, and I saw right away that there was a problem," his mother said.

This perfect family picture was shattered.

"I saw the corner of his head just poking out from under the dresser," she said.

The bedroom dresser had tipped over. It’s believed he climbed up and the drawers fell over. Little Curran was trapped. His mother never heard a thing.

"And at that point I just started screaming his name," she said.

Curran was rushed to hospital. But it was too late. The injuries too severe. Curran passed away at 2-years-old.

“So then I just asked to go see him,” she said. “I just got to hold him, and I got to rub his hands, and hold his feet, and just smell his hair. it's just hard knowing I'm going through the rest of my life missing him"

They still hold a place for him at the dinner table. And to this day they still find his favorite toy trucks tucked away hidden around the house. And then there's his bedroom.

"This is his room. You can smell him, and this is the dresser," she said.

His mother took Fox 29 into the room. Untouched since her son died exactly one month earlier. Toys still scattered about, his clothes still in the laundry basket. His mom is afraid his smell will disappear.and a heartbreaking memorial with his favorite trucks sitting by his bed.

She's talking about Curren's death in hopes other parents will get the message.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 1 child dies every week because of a furniture tip-over. 25,000 a year are injured.

This grieving mother wants every parent, grandparent, sibling and daycare provider to know that 10 minutes can save a life.

"10 minutes of anchoring your dresser, of anchoring TVs, bookshelves, fish tanks, all of these things you wouldn't normally think of. I’m just really trying to spread this story,” she said.

We found furniture anchor kits for 10 bucks or less at many major hardware and department stores. Collas would like to see pediatricians take the lead. She remembers wellness visits about car seats, dangerous chemicals and cabinet latches, but nothing about anchoring furniture.

"That is such a simple fix and it can reach every child," she said. "It's the difference between life and death"

The Collas family is convinced Curren's story has already saved lives and will continue to save more.

Despite the pain, the loss and the heartbreak, they know his legacy will live on.

"His name means hero. And that's what he is, he's saving lives. And that makes me so happy,” his mother said.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices