House denies chimp attack victim's bid to sue

House denies chimp attack victim's bid to sue

Posted: Updated:
Charla Nash after her face-transplant operation Charla Nash after her face-transplant operation

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - The Connecticut House of Representatives has sided with a legislative committee that recommended a woman blinded and disfigured in a 2009 chimpanzee attack should not be allowed to sue the state for financial damages.

Monday night's 126-14 vote was not unexpected. It would have been unusual for the House to overrule the recommendation of the Judiciary Committee, which upheld last year's decision by the Claims Commissioner's office, which refused Charla Nash's request for permission to sue the state.

The issue now moves to the Senate.

Nash claimed officials knew the 200-pound chimp could be dangerous and was being kept without a permit before it went on a rampage.

Rep. Gerald Fox says lawmakers feel "tremendous compassion" toward Nash, but believe the state didn't owe a "personal duty" to protect her.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Conn. woman bitten by raccoon she thought was cat

    Conn. woman bitten by raccoon she thought was cat

    Monday, August 25 2014 7:47 PM EDT2014-08-25 23:47:38 GMT
    An 88-year-old Hamden woman was hospitalized after being attacked by a raccoon she mistook for her cat. Police say the woman, whose name has not been released, heard a sound at her sliding glass door Sunday and opened it to let her cat inside. Police say it appears the raccoon followed the feline into the home.
    An 88-year-old Hamden woman was hospitalized after being attacked by a raccoon she mistook for her cat. Police say the woman, whose name has not been released, heard a sound at her sliding glass door Sunday and opened it to let her cat inside. Police say it appears the raccoon followed the feline into the home.
  • Navy submarine group disbands in Groton ceremony

    Navy submarine group disbands in Groton ceremony

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:36 PM EDT2014-08-23 00:36:24 GMT
    A Navy submarine group based in Groton has been formally disbanded after 49 years. A ceremony Friday aboard the attack submarine USS Missouri marked the end of Submarine Group 2.
    A Navy submarine group based in Groton has been formally disbanded after 49 years. A ceremony Friday aboard the attack submarine USS Missouri marked the end of Submarine Group 2.
  • Park Service bans drones over Appalachian Trail

    Park Service bans drones over Appalachian Trail

    Thursday, August 21 2014 8:25 AM EDT2014-08-21 12:25:02 GMT
    The National Park Service has banned drones from flying over the Appalachian Trail. The Park Service said Wednesday the interim rule prohibits launching, landing or operating unmanned aircraft from or on Appalachian National Scenic Trail lands. The ban takes effect immediately and lasts until the Park Service can develop an appropriate policy. 
    The National Park Service has banned drones from flying over the Appalachian Trail. The Park Service said Wednesday the interim rule prohibits launching, landing or operating unmanned aircraft from or on Appalachian National Scenic Trail lands. The ban takes effect immediately and lasts until the Park Service can develop an appropriate policy. 
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices