Brooklyn judge voids convictions tied to former detective

Brooklyn judge voids convictions tied to former detective

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Cheers erupted in Brooklyn Supreme Court Tuesday as Robert Hill -- who spent 27 years in prison for murder -- had his conviction vacated. Now a free man, he said he had just two things on his mind: to home to his family and to take a bath.

Hill is one of seven men in recent months to see their convictions vacated. But not all walked free.

Louise Austin was in court for her son, Darryl Austin, who died in prison 14 years ago and was vindicated posthumously.

Alvena Jennette was paroled in 2007.

All three men happen to be half-brothers who spent decades in prison convicted of two separate murders, until now.

David Ranta had his conviction vacated last year. After that, the Brooklyn district attorney vowed to look into more than 50 other cases involving former NYPD Detective Louis Scarcella. Both defense attorneys and prosecutors say Scarcella used a self-confessed crack head, now dead, to falsely finger innocent men, including the three brothers just vindicated.

But Scarcella's lawyers said their client stands by his investigations and pointed out that the DA's office did not declare the men innocent.

Legal expert Matthew Galluzzo, a criminal defense attorney not professionally involved in any of the cases, told Fox 5 that prosecutors had failed to turn over exculpatory evidence.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • Whitewashed American flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Whitewashed American flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:40 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:40:39 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge where two whitewashed American flags were raised on Tuesday. It is not clear who raised the flags or why. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed. The white flags were placed on the stone supports that hold cables above the span. Several officers scaled the bridge and lowered one of the flags at about 11 a.m. and the second about 20 minutes later.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge where two whitewashed American flags were raised on Tuesday. It is not clear who raised the flags or why. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed. The white flags were placed on the stone supports that hold cables above the span. Several officers scaled the bridge and lowered one of the flags at about 11 a.m. and the second about 20 minutes later.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices