Brian Stow Had Stroke, Attorney Says

Brian Stow Had Stroke, Attorney Says

Posted: Updated:
An attorney for Bryan Stow confirms that the beating victim suffered a stroke about 10 days ago and that is why he has not been attending the trial.

The attorney says that Stow is "coming back okay" from the stroke. In fact, Stow will be seeing his attorney on Wednesday.
However, he will NOT be in court tomorrow or for closing arguments on Thursday. According to the attorney, that would be "too much for him".

During trial today, a rehabilitation specialist testified  that
while Bryan Stow will need 24-hour care for the rest of his life due to his
beating outside Dodger Stadium three years ago, he is better off at home than
at a board and care home.

Dr. Thomas Hedge of Northridge Hospital Medical Center disagreed with a
plaintiff's expert witness, who testified that Stow, now 45, should be moved to
a care facility when he is 55 or 60 years old, in part to relieve the stress on
his parents. His mother and father are 66 and 70, respectively.

Taking the stand as a defense witness in the Los Angeles Superior Court
trial of Stow's negligence suit against former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and
Los Angeles Dodgers LLC, Hedge said he met with Stow for about two hours at a
Capitola hotel last year. Stow's parents were there and helped answer questions
that their son could not, Hedge said.

Hedge said Stow would get the kind of love and care from relatives that
he would not get at a group home, but he said he would not expect his parents
to always be his primary caregivers. He said there was a lack of rehabilitation
centers near the Capitola-Aptos area where Stow lives with his mother and

Stow, in Giants gear, was punched from behind by Louie Sanchez in
parking lot 2 after the home opener between the longtime rivals March 31, 2011.
Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, both Dodger fans, then kicked Stow after he fell to
the ground.

Stow's attorneys maintain security was insufficient inside and outside
of the stadium and that no officers or guards were present in lot 2 when Stow
was attacked, suffering permanent brain injuries.

Stow's lawsuit was filed two months after the attack on behalf of the
father of two. His attorneys maintain that Stow's assailants should have been
kicked out of Dodger Stadium hours earlier for unruly behavior and that more
uniformed security within the stadium could have acted as a deterrent to their

Rialto residents Sanchez, 31, and Norwood, 33, pleaded guilty in January
to carrying out the attack on Stow and were sentenced to eight- and four-year
terms, respectively. They are also both facing a federal weapons charge that
could land them in a federal lockup for up to 10 years.

Defense attorneys say Sanchez, Norwood and Stow are to blame for his
injuries. They assert Stow was drunk, gestured toward his assailants and made
sarcastic remarks. McCourt filed a cross-complaint against Norwood and Sanchez
that is being tried along with Stow's case.

Several witnesses for Stow, however, have denied during the trial that
he antagonized his assailants.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices