Dust storm hits Phoenix, flights grounded

Dust storm hits Phoenix, flights grounded

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX (AP) -- The first dust storm of the summer blasted Phoenix Thursday night with strong and blinding winds that forced the cancellation of holiday plans, knocked out power to thousands, and grounded numerous flights.

All inbound and outbound traffic at Sky Harbor International Airport was halted after 8 p.m. PDT as a result of the storm, airport spokeswoman Julie Rodriguez said.

Operations had resumed by 8:45 p.m., but not before 24 planes had been diverted to other airports, she said.

Meteorologist Charlotte Dewey of the National Weather Service told the Arizona Republic that the storm swept into the Phoenix area about 7:30 p.m.

The wall of dust that enveloped parts of the city also snarled traffic as drivers slowed down because of poor visibility.

The storm was the first of the yearly monsoon season and brought with it localized heavy rains.

Powerful winds, sometimes gusting to 50 mph, knocked down numerous trees and power lines.

Station KPHO said utilities reported that power was cut off to more than 25,000 customers.

The storm also derailed, at least temporarily, public and private plans. The station said that among them was the cancellation of the "Red, White and Boom" Fourth of July fireworks show in southeast Phoenix.

A dust storm warning for the Phoenix area is in effect until 10 p.m.

Meanwhile, officials said firefighters battled blazes in at least two buildings in west Phoenix. Local media reported that lightning was suspected of sparking the fires, which were fueled by the strong winds.

The Weather Service predicted a 30 to 35 percent chance of rain for Friday.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Viral StoriesMore>>

  • New wristband will shock users if they miss fitness goals

    New wristband will shock users if they miss fitness goals

    Thursday, July 24 2014 1:02 PM EDT2014-07-24 17:02:43 GMT
    A new wristband design will deliver an electric shock if the wearer does not meet fitness goals. The Pavlok wristband will be designed to track daily performance. According to the company’s website, the Pavlok compels you into keeping workout and fitness goals by using feedback, reinforcement and electric shock. READ MORE: http://pavlok.com/
    A new wristband design will deliver an electric shock if the wearer does not meet fitness goals. The Pavlok wristband will be designed to track daily performance. According to the company’s website, the Pavlok compels you into keeping workout and fitness goals by using feedback, reinforcement and electric shock. READ MORE: http://pavlok.com/
  • 'True Blood' actor Nelsan Ellis: Former star quit because he didn't 'want to play a gay part'

    'True Blood' actor Nelsan Ellis: Former star quit because he didn't 'want to play a gay part'

    Thursday, July 24 2014 1:01 PM EDT2014-07-24 17:01:46 GMT
    LOS ANGELES – When Luke Grimes started on HBO’s “True Blood” last season his character James Kent was wooing a female vampire. But Grimes reportedly quit in December when he found out Kent was bisexual and starting a romantic relationship with a gay character in the seventh and final season. Now Nelsan Ellis, the actor who plays Kent’s gay lover on the show, is speaking up -- and he’s not happy. “You quit your job because you don’t want to play a gay part? You make a big statement w...
    LOS ANGELES – When Luke Grimes started on HBO’s “True Blood” last season his character James Kent was wooing a female vampire. But Grimes reportedly quit in December when he found out Kent was bisexual and starting a romantic relationship with a gay character in the seventh and final season. Now Nelsan Ellis, the actor who plays Kent’s gay lover on the show, is speaking up -- and he’s not happy. “You quit your job because you don’t want to play a gay part? You make a big statement w...
  • Puerto Rico declares chikungunya epidemic

    Puerto Rico declares chikungunya epidemic

    Friday, July 18 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-18 11:48:06 GMT
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Health officials in Puerto Rico on Thursday declared an epidemic of the mosquito-borne virus known as chikungunya, which was introduced into the Caribbean region late last year. Health Secretary Ana Rius said that more than 200 cases had been confirmed on the island as of June 25 and that the majority of them were reported in the capital of San Juan and nearby areas. The first case of chikungunya in the U.S. territory was reported in late May. Also on Thursday, ...
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Health officials in Puerto Rico on Thursday declared an epidemic of the mosquito-borne virus known as chikungunya, which was introduced into the Caribbean region late last year. Health Secretary Ana Rius said that more than 200 cases had been confirmed on the island as of June 25 and that the majority of them were reported in the capital of San Juan and nearby areas. The first case of chikungunya in the U.S. territory was reported in late May. Also on Thursday, ...
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices