Two held without bond in 2013 slayings of deacon and musician

Two held without bond in 2013 slayings of deacon and musician

Posted: Updated:
Mark Hall (left) and Devin Aldridge (right). (Chicago Police) Mark Hall (left) and Devin Aldridge (right). (Chicago Police)
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

Bond was denied for both men charged with murder for separate shootings that killed a deacon and a musician blocks apart on the Southeast Side last December.

Mark Hall and Devin Aldridge, both 23, are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder for the Dec. 19, 2013 shootings that killed Deacon Willie Cooper and musician Eric “Guitar” Davis, authorities said.

Both Davis and Cooper were sitting in parked vehicles when they were shot about half an hour and three blocks apart in the early morning hours, police said at the time.

Cooper, 74, was waiting to give a friend a ride to work when he was shot at 4:44 a.m. in the 7000 block of South East End Avenue. Davis, 41, was sitting in his vehicle in the 6700 block of South East End about 5:20 a.m. when he was shot, police said.

Both Davis, of the 14200 block of South Eggleston in Riverdale; and Cooper, of the 6800 block of South Crandon, were dead at the scene, the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said.

Family, police and Cook County Crime Stoppers passed out flyers in the neighborhood with video surveillance images of the suspects, asking for the public’s help to solve the shootings. Prosecutors said a witness came forward in June and identified Aldridge as one of the people running away from the car after Cooper was fatally shot. Aldridge’s phone number also “pinged” a cell tower near the area of that homicide, prosecutors said.

“Willie Cooper was a deacon of his church and a great person who would help anyone,” Crime Stoppers Chairman George McDade said in a statement in June. “Eric Davis is from a family of jazz musicians and had a promising career.”

McDade called both men “pillars in their community.”

Aldridge, of the 1600 block of East 68th Street, was ordered held without bond on Saturday. He is next scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

Hall, of the 7000 block of South East End Avenue, was ordered held without bond on Sunday.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices